I regularly change my telephones, usually around September, latest in October, I switch to an iPhone, since the new models for the upcoming season are presented in that time frame. But this time, things are a little different. And this has little to do with size and features and much with one other aspect many people tend to ignore.
Yesterday’s sunset as seen from the children’s room. Impressive.
I have to admit: I made a mistake!
Situation: I wanted to buy a Surface Book 2, since I was able to find a buyer for my Surface Book with Performance Base and I was offered a really good price for the SB2. So, I went and ordered the replacement unit. I was terribly tired and did not check the order receipt.
Next day, I went to the shop to collect my shiny new Surface Book 2.
But I was confronted with a larger box than expected and it read „Surface Book 15-inch, 256 GB storage“.
I immediately checked the receipt and figured: Yes, I actually ordered the 15-inch variant. I did not notice since the 15-inch and the 13.5-inch variants differed not by price but by SSD-size (and I did not check this one). They were presented side-by-side online, and obviously, I was too tired to realize.
So, I had two options: Don’t accept the device or go with the bigger one having the smaller SSD. Very surprisingly(?), I went with the latter option and now I own a Surface Book 15-inch.
I don’t own it. I love it.
It immediately replaced my 2017 MacBook Pro 15.4-inch, which is on sale right now. And it replaced the 13.5-inch Surface Book with Performance Base, since the differences in size and weight are acceptable. It is – for now – accompanied by the 12.5-inch ThinkPad X260 and – for another two months – by an Apple iPad Pro 10.5 (which will be replaced by a Surface Go later this year).
If you wonder, why I love this device so much, here are some reasons:
- Gorgeous keyboard. I mean, really gorgeous. On the older-MacBooks- and older-ThinkPads-Level. That gorgeous.
- Fantastic display. 15 inch, 3×2-ratio. Nice colors. Nice viewing angles. Touch. Close enough to a MacBooks-display.
- Battery time. 5 hrs of watching videos – around 50% of battery left. Several hours of writing and surfing, again with a modest battery drain. Compare this to a MacBook Pro 15.4 inch, whose battery is empty after 4 hours, regardless of what you do.
- USB-A-ports. Not only USB-C/Thunderbold-ports.
- Lightweight device, less than 2kg for a 15-inch device.
- Versatility: You can use it as Laptop, as Tablet, as anything in between.
- The Pen. Just nice.
- That Graphics Adapter. 6 GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1060. Play highly demanding games in natural resolution!
So, in summary, there is a lot to love here.
And I am glad I made such a mistake.
I will keep this device as my daily driver.
Many, if not the most, mobile devices do not provide wireless charging capabilities. This is annoying, since it is so convenient to charge without plugging in any cable.
The solution is very simple: Just plug in a wireless charging receiver into the charging port of your device. Yes, it looks a little odd and you’ll need a case to properly ensure the receiver’s position, but you’ll have the comfort of wireless charging immediately and without extensive cost, since receivers start at around 10,– Euro.
You can find the receiver here: Amazon (Affiliate Link)
The other day, I was strolling around near Berlin Nordbahnhof. In one of the windows (former windows…) of the station, I spotted this image of a girl playing with her smartphone:
Don’t know, if it was there temporal, but I like the message and the style.